Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
According to the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery and the National Institutes of Health, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (stomach stapling) is the current gold standard procedure for weight loss surgery. It is one of the most frequently performed weight loss procedures in the United States.
Sentara Comprehensive Weight Loss Solutions performs minimally invasive or Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery. In comparison to traditional open procedures, this approach provides less pain and discomfort, quicker recovery, and less scarring than traditional open procedures. It also decreases the chances of some complications.
Gastric bypass is a restrictive and malabsorptive procedure. In this procedure, the top portion of the stomach is stapled off creating a small pouch. The intestine is attached to this small pouch and a portion of the remaining intestine is bypassed. Weight loss is achieved by having the small pouch which restricts the amount of food you can eat. Furthermore, food is digested further down the intestinal tract creating malabsorption thereby reducing the calories and nutrients your body absorbs.
- Rapid initial weight loss
- Higher total average weight loss reported than with the gastric band
- Longer experience in USA
- Easy to be successful
- Cutting and stapling of stomach and bowel is required
- More operative complications than with the gastric band
- A portion of digestive track is bypassed, reducing absorption of essential nutrients
- Complications due to malabsorption reported
- It is not adjustable
- Higher mortality rate than the gastric band